While Derby County clinched the FA Cup back in the 1945/46 season, it remains their only triumph in this prestigious competition. As we reminisce about their storied history, we delve into the archives to uncover the five most unforgettable victories in Derby County’s FA Cup journey.
- 1945/46 Season – FA Cup Final vs. Charlton Athletic As the nation celebrated the end of World War II, Derby County secured their first and, to this day, only FA Cup title. In a thrilling final at Wembley, they triumphed 4-1 in extra time against Charlton Athletic, with goals from Jack Stamps and Peter Doherty. The match, witnessed by a crowd of 98,000, saw Derby scoring three times after 90 minutes to claim the coveted cup. This remarkable victory undoubtedly ranks as Derby’s most famous FA Cup triumph.
- 2008/09 Season – Fourth Round vs. Nottingham Forest (A) Derby County faced their East Midlands rivals, Nottingham Forest, in a historic FA Cup encounter during the 2008/09 season. After a 1-1 draw at Pride Park in the initial fixture, the replay at the City Ground proved decisive. In a closely contested battle, the Rams emerged victorious with a 3-2 win, thanks to goals from Rob Hulse, Paul Green, and Kris Commons. This Brian Clough Derby took Derby through to the fifth round of the FA Cup.
- 1975/76 Season – Quarter Final vs. Newcastle United (H) In the 1970s, Derby County was in its prime, and following their Division One title win, they embarked on a remarkable FA Cup journey. They advanced to the semi-finals by defeating Newcastle United 4-2 at the Baseball Ground. Although the Rams would eventually fall to Manchester United in the semi-final, their 4-2 win against fellow Division One rivals to reach the FA Cup semi-final marked a significant achievement.
- 1992/93 Season – Fourth Round vs. Luton Town (A) In the 1992/93 season, both Derby County and Luton Town were competing in Division One. While Luton Town faced relegation that year, it was a successful season for Derby. They enjoyed a comfortable position in the league and secured a memorable 5-1 victory over their Division One counterparts in the FA Cup. This resounding win propelled them to the quarter-finals, where they were narrowly defeated in a replay by Sheffield Wednesday.
- 2018/19 Season – Third Round Replay vs. Southampton (A) During the 2018/19 season, Frank Lampard’s Derby County faced Premier League club Southampton in a thrilling FA Cup encounter. After a thrilling 2-2 draw at home, Derby earned the opportunity to travel to St. Mary’s Stadium and challenge a team in the league above. The Rams, driven by their pursuit of Premier League promotion, took the game to penalties, securing a 2-2 draw yet again, with goals from Harry Wilson and Martyn Waghorn. Derby emerged victorious in the penalty shootout, with captain Richard Keogh’s decisive strike propelling them into the fourth round. This victory underlined their ability to compete with Premier League sides and left an indelible mark in the club’s FA Cup history.
As Derby County embarks on another FA Cup journey, these historic victories serve as a reminder of the club’s rich and illustrious history in this prestigious competition.